Here are the 17 of the 49 points in Steven’s book that stood out to me. Note: I’m talking about the 49 points that stood out to me. For some, there will be hundreds. If you have something that you have always wanted to create, read The War Of Art by Steven Pressfield. The following ideas are all Steven Pressfield’s ideas.
1. Pressfield lays out a step by step plan that includes: preparation, order, patience, endurance, acting in the face of fear and failure – no excuses. No bullshit.
2. Avoid resistance at all cost. Resistance is an all-encompassing term for what Freud called Death Wish. Resistance cannot be reasoned with. It understands one thing. Power. Resistance takes on the form of drugs, shopping, TV, gossip, alcohol, drugs, and the consumption of all products containing alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, fat, salt and sugar. The greatest danger is Resistance knows when the finish line is in site and it will throw out one final assault.
3. We will likely never heal from pain. As the athlete does, learn to play hurt.
4. Understand delayed gratification. Give the stars time to align with your decision, keep yourself from flaming out in each individual work.
5. The Professional does not identify with their work. Your creativity and your work are something that God gave you. You are not your work.
6. Evolution has programmed us to feel fear in our guts. The tribe enforced obedience by the threat of expulsion. Fear of Rejection is in our cells! Fear of public scrutiny.
7. Maintain your sovereignty over the moment. ( Be present. ) Focus on what you have to do, right here, right now.
8. Power derives from our fear of it. It is bully and will back down. Don’t feed fear by giving it a face and label.
9. Work every day and it will magnify your work. Ideas will follow.
10. When one commits themselves then providence does to.
11. Learn that things that you think are nothing, as weightless as air, are actual powerful substantial forces, as real and as solid as earth.
12. The ego hates the self because when we put our consciousness in the self, the ego is out of business.
13. If we were born to overthrow ignorance, it is our job to realize it and get down to business.
14. What do I feel growing inside me? Bring it forth.
15. Do the work as an offering to God.
16. We are servants of the mystery.
17. Know that you are not the source of the creations that you bring into being.