In speaking with a client yesterday, we observed that they were not where they wanted to be in relationship to their sales and the number of prospects that they were talking to for their sales campaign goals.
Much activity was being invested in Business Building Activity that included valuable resources that include; a new brochure, a new flyer and building a public speaking career.
My client was not only not where they wanted to be in relationship to their sales goals and the number of prospects that they were talking to.
My client was feeling disappointed due to the amount of time, energy and money that was going out into the Business Building Activity.
I would suggest that the ratio of Business Building Activity vs. Appointment Building Activity was something like 90/10 vs. what it needed to be of 40/60.
On top of that, Business Building Activity can take 1 – 3 years to gain a yield vs. Appointment Building Activity can take just days.
The conundrum is that we must do the Business Building Activity which will duplicate our activity over time.
Case in point is yesterday’s blog article. Being seen on Global TV created the opportunity for me to do a public speaking presentation 9 months after I was seen on TV. While this was great, it would not have done me much good in a sales campaign.
As I reflect on being seen on Global TV, I did these spots at 6:30am on Saturday mornings. The Business Building Activity did not cut into my prime time Appointment Building Activity.
Business Building Activity also includes; web site, e-newsletter, blog, cd, strategic alliances as well as; brochure, flyer and public speaking.
And I confess, my web site, e-newsletter and blog did cut into my Appointment Building Activity – I had a Blind Spot on this one.
While a must, keep the Business Building Activity to 40% of your marketing time leaving 60% of your marketing activity for Appointment Building Activity.
Stay tuned tomorrow when I will talk about the Blind Spot that can cause what I’ve been talking about.